Moray MP Douglas Ross has raised “serious concerns” with Scottish Water after homes in Forres unexpectedly saw their water supply cut off on Tuesday 16 January.
Douglas had been contacted by angry constituents from the Knockomie Gardens area of the town who were unable to access water at around 10pm last Tuesday evening.
Some residents living in Knockomie Gardens – as well as new houses in Findhorn Park – were also concerned that they had not been notified of planned outages between 9am and 5pm on 18th January and on Monday 22 January.
Douglas said this would have caused “unnecessary stress” for his constituents and he made his feelings known to Scottish Water.
He has now received an apology from the company who said some customers “regrettably” did not receive their standard 48 hour advance notice of any disruption to the supply.
Scottish Water have also committed to undertaking further letter drops ahead of future works which will also be occurring in February and they will do “everything possible” to notify customers in advance.
Moray MP Douglas Ross said: “This would have been the last thing local residents would have been expecting. It is simply not good enough that Scottish Water failed to give advanced notice to these houses that the water supply was going to be cut off.
“I raised my serious. concerns immediately with Scottish Water after being contacted by angry constituents, who had only been told about one planned disruption to the supply.
“While I appreciate the swift and detailed response from Scottish Water, this situation simply cannot happen again. It created unnecessary stress for local people and cut them off from the water network.
“I will be closely monitoring planned works in the upcoming weeks in the Forres area to ensure that those affected are notified well enough in advance and if any constituents have not received sufficient notification, then I would encourage them to let me know so I can raise this again with Scottish Water.”