Moray MP Douglas Ross has said the SNP Government’s route map out of lockdown “falls short” of what the public had been expecting.
The First Minister said in parliament today that a full plan for exiting the current lockdown would be published in mid-March.
No information was provided on the tests for exiting lockdown or what would happen after April 26, when Scotland is due to move back into a tiered system of restrictions.
Last week, Mr Ross and the Scottish Conservatives published a paper calling for a full route map out of lockdown to be published this week.
The Prime Minister announced a plan for England yesterday (Monday) that went far beyond what was set out at Holyrood today.
Scottish Conservative MP for Moray Douglas Ross said:
“The announcement today was billed as providing a route map out of lockdown in Scotland.
“But the First Minister’s statement falls short of what the public had a right to expect.
“We now have to wait until mid-March to actually see a full plan from the Scottish Government.
“And aside from an indication that restrictions would start to be eased from April 26, we don’t know what is going to happen beyond that point.
“There was nothing on when NHS services would get back up to speed, when weddings would resume or when people could hug their loved ones.
“Here in Moray, where infection rates are thankfully very low, people and businesses will have been hoping for a bit more information.
“I think everyone understands that dates may be subject to change, but people need a bit of hope after 11 months of restrictions on their day-to-day lives.
“There is no doubt that we need to remain vigilant to this virus, but the vaccine gives us all hope that end is in sight. Sadly, the Scottish Government have failed to explain how the current restrictions will be eased so we can return to a form of normality.”